Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Inspiration for this blog...

Last month, I found out my rent was being increased by $60/a month. It's not a large amount I suppose, but it got me thinking...When will my rent stop increasing? Based on NY Housing laws, my rent can increase $85 next year, and more the next. It won't stop.

So I decided to start doing my research. My goal is to purchase a 1-bedroom condo by mid-2012.

What do I need to do ? Save a lot more money than I've been the past few months. To be fair, I have managed to pay off thousands of dollars of debt ($18,000, to be exact). But now I need to put the money aside, in a savings account. How am I going to do this?

1)  Follow a strict regiment of no spending, just like this savvy woman did: http://www.andthenshesaved.com/
2)  Rid myself of my dwindling student loan so it doesn't get in the way of my mortgage. Ever.
3)  Hold on to those savings
4) Do a lot of research on real estate, buying a home, and make realistic decisions about what/where I need to purchase.

I am excited.  I have moved every year since I graduated college. I am done with moving, with living out of boxes, with paying broker's fees, with crappy, roach infested NYC apartments. I am ready for the next step of my life. I am ready to own a home.

No comments:

Post a Comment